Thursday, April 26, 2012

Books Through the Seasons

I recently framed these pages from the book Chicken Soup With Rice by Maurice Sendak, which got me thinking that it might be fun to follow up my post about spring books with one about books that cover all the seasons. This is one of our favorites (seriously, can you tell I love it? We don't even eat chicken!) for reading at the start of each month. Our original paperback copy was falling apart, so when I found a hardcover in nice condition, I grabbed it. Of course, it has taken me months to get a frame, but I think it turned out well. I love the illustrations, and I thought it would be nice to have each poem on display during its month.


Here are some of our favorite seasonal books that we keep on the bookshelves all the time. Some, like Chicken Soup With Rice and A Time to Keep, we read from at the beginning of each month. Some, like The Barefoot Book of Blessings, A Child's Calendar, and A Child's Garden of Verses, I use as sources for seasonal poems (as well as poems and blessings that fit in with our daily routines). Linnea's Almanac is a fairly recent addition to our library, but is I think it is going to be a great resource. The rest are just good stories that go through the seasons. Maxine is particularly enamored with The Flower Fairies Changing Seasons. I always thought the Flower Fairies books were commercial and gimmicky, but I kept seeing the alphabet book referenced on Waldorf blogs, so I finally checked them out and they're quite lovely (although this one has tabs you pull to change the pictures, so it is a little gimmicky). 


From left to right:

1. Listen, Listen by Phillis Gershator
2. A Child's Calendar by John Updike
3. The Barefoot Book of Blessings by Sabrina Dearborn
4. A Time to Keep by Tasha Tudor
5. Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak
6. The Story of the Root Children by Sibylle Von Olfers
7. A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
8. The Flower Fairies Changing Seasons by Cicely Mary Barker
9. Linnea's Almanac by Cristina Bjork
10. Children of the Forest by Elsa Beskow
11. Stories Around the Year by Thornton Burgess (this one is not pictured, but I wanted to include it because it's one of Max's favorites right now--which probably explains why I couldn't find it. It looks like it might be out of print, but can be found used fairly inexpensively).


No comments:

Post a Comment